Tuesday, December 8, 2009

God's Compliments

Branyon has a sermon based on I Corinthians: "... God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." (10:13) I always love to hear this message because it is such thought provoking one.

Think about the best compliment that you've been given: Who did it come from? What was it about? What were the circumstances? Of course, getting any compliment is encouraging and gratifying, but each one these questions can make the compliment mean that much more.

Who did it come from? Did it come from someone you highly esteem? Compliments from those we love and respect usually mean so much more than those from strangers. I think back to high school or college and the times that my parents saw the fruits of my labor. They knew how much time and effort I spent practicing for a solo in a concert or spent studying for a major exam. When they said they were proud, it meant alot.

What was it about? Did you receive it based on something that you poured your heart and soul into? Circumstances where we have put our blood, sweat, and tears have a greater weight of importance to us than those that might just come "naturally".

What were the circumstances? Did it come after trials? Was it a situation that you were unsure of and needed reassurance?

Now, think about a time in your life where you were really tested. How hard was it to deal with? According to the above Corinthians passage, God will not allow His children to have more in
their lives than what they are able to handle. If God has allowed a trying situation to come into
your life, think of it as a compliment. He is saying that He knows you will be able to overcome the ordeal. What greater compliment is that than the one we get from our Creator?

Branyon and I have been faced with one of the biggest trials of our lives: losing our baby girl. I don't know why God has allowed my baby to not be with us anymore, but I know she's safe
with Him. I know that God is watching over us and comforting us. I know he will lead us through this time. I know He trusts that we can make it with His guiding hand.

Tonight before bed, my dad quoted me the chorus of a song that I think is so profound:

"And the arms that hold the universe
Are holding you tonight
You can rest inside
It's gonna be alright
And the voice that calmed the raging sea
Is calling you His child
So be still and know He's in control
He will never let you go"

5 comments:

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Alana & Branyon we are praying for you!! I'm so very very sorry. I can't even imagine your pain, my heart is heavy for you. May God comfort you during this storm. You've been in my thoughts constantly.

Lisa said...

We are continually praying that God will comfort you during this time.

Trent said...

My tears come out and my prayers go up for you. We love you. Trent

opalessence said...

I am so sorry for your loss. May God wrap you in the comfort of His arms. Our thoughts are with you all in this time.

Jackie said...

Great thoughts. It's a tough thing to swallow, to think that you've been given something and you're supposed to be able to handle it. With prayer and support you will get through it, but it will take time. Love y'all!