Thursday, April 8, 2010

Little Helping Hands

As the completion of my degree neared, I began to daydream about all the things I could do with my time: read a "fun" book, start Branna's school back up again, cross-stitch, and even having the option to do nothing! :) One activity that I also really wanted to get involved with was Branna and me volunteering in the community. However, I had no idea where to even start looking until I saw a news blip for Little Helping Hands.
This is an organization started by a mother of young children who wanted her kids to have an opportunity to serve others in the community as well. All of the activities are geared specifically for younger children. Some of the activities include making meals for families at the Ronald McDonald House, helping to harvest a local garden, and cleaning local parks.
It seems that there are many eager families willing to participate because spots go quickly for the month. Because of that, May will be our first opportunity to volunteer, but I'm excited about the opportunities we're signed up for. Our first event will be making toys for animals at the local animal shelter and our second will be filling bags with rice and beans for impoverished families.
If you're interested, you can go to http://littlehelpinghands.org/ to see what opportunities there are for you and your family.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Cool! I will check that out.

Katrina said...

Oh, Alana! This is awesome. I'm going to share this with my service-learning buddies.

Love you,
MOM