Monday, December 23, 2013

Fruit Soup, the Lapps, and 50 days of School

Throughout the year, our school curriculum has us focus on different countries of the world. We started with North America, moved to South America and we are currently focusing on European countries.
Our first stop in Europe was to Norway. Branna enjoyed learning unique characteristics of the culture and we even made a traditional Norwegian dish: fruit soup.  The girls love to cook and I am always looking for recipes that will be easy for them to get involved in and that won't make a huge mess.  Fortunately, the recipe that I found was just that and the resulting dish tasted pretty good. (I think Atlie enjoyed it more than anyone!)


We also made Lapland felt squares in conjunction with our study. (The Lapps are a group of people who live in Northern Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Apparently, they were bright colors of blue, red, and yellow.) Since it's Christmas time, we turned them into ornaments for the girls to look back on in future years.

And lastly, we celebrate 50 days of school. Last year we had a big celebration, but lately I feel like I'm trying to walk up an escalator that is going down and can barely get the required work done.  So instead of making a big day, I awarded the girls with 50 day medals and we had root beer floats. (The floats were all that Branna really wanted anyways!) Even without the bid celebration, I think the day was memorable. :)

No comments: